Good evening Soccer Parents.
Coach Ray here. The coaches meeting was held tonight which officially begins our Fall Soccer season. A summary of the important logistics (dates, times, equipment) for the girls U14 team:
- First Practice: Tuesday August 20th 4:30-6:00
- Practice Location: Kugler Mill Field 1
- Tuesdays & Thursdays 4:30-6:00p, August 20th – October 24th
- If your daughter can't make practice, please text me if possible so I know not to expect her.
- Parent Meeting
- Tuesday August 27th – 5:45p. This is a requirement to review code of conduct. I do need to remind you not to coach from the sidelines, but I’ll provide you a few safe code words to encourage the team to pounce and pass.
- THE “FUN” Practice:
- Kids vs. Parents / siblings game likely last practice of the season.
- Games & Tournament:
- We play 10 regular season games. I'll let you know when the games dates are populated on our schedule. Games begin the week of September 7th and contrinue through October 20th
- Please arrive 20 minutes before game time.
- I'm told we will not have games during Fall Break due to 8th Grade Trip. (Thank Shellie Leder for her proactive scheduling).
- To ensure equal playing time and smooth substiutation, I develop a quarter by quarter position assignment for each game. Please let me know as early as you can if your daughter knows she will miss a game. Reworking=>nightmare. We have "roster" players I could ask to play if we are short.
- Save the Date: Optional Fall Tournament: Weekend of October 26-27th
- Other schedule considerations:
- 8th grade DC Trip during fall break – might cancel October 10th practice
- Fall School Play
- Please let me know if there are any other important dates.
I typically arrive early to practice and set-up a fun “POUNCE “ game / drill that allows each player to socialize and get into the soccer mindset (I’ve learned the hard way that if they don’t socialize at the start of practice, they will do so all practice long). If you think you will have a consistent hardship having your daughter to practice by or before 4:30, please let me know as soon as you can. I have a few ideas that could reduce the burden.
One benefit of a 4:30 start time is greater access to Challenger Coaches. I’ve heard from a few parents already who’d like to help at practice. You don’t need to be Pele to help, I will find an important role if you’d like to be more active at practice.
I was asked what the girls need to provide on their own for the season. Equipment to be supplied by each player before 1st practice:
- Soccer cleats
- Shin guards
- Size 5 soccer ball
- Water bottle
Equipment Supplied by IH Recreation Commission:
- Shirts, socks, and shorts will be supplied to you before first game
Other important equipment rules.
- No casts no matter how much bubble wrap you put on it.
- Braces (not the ones on the teeth) are ok if there is not exposed metal or hard plastic.
- No piercings, bracelets, necklaces, watches.
- Shin guards must be inside the socks not over the socks and then the socks rolled down to cover the guard
We now have 13 players and might add a few more “roster” players in the event we have a shortage of players for a game. The girls will have plenty of playing time – so the practices will help them both prepare their stamina for a full game and more importantly show them how to conserve their energy through quality passing and touches. We want to wear out the other team with our exceptional demonstration of possession. (I know, I’m an optimist).
Please email directly with any thoughts, questions, ideas, etc.
Hope to see you all Tuesday at practice.